Saturday, May 24, 2008

Building Steam

Hello all,

Despite promising myself not to due to my fervent dislike for technology, I am hopping on the boat and creating a “blog” (man, I hate that word- it just sounds bad…) Well anyway, in case anyone is interested in taking a peek at my view of Ecuador and Peru as I study and travel, here you have it. At least it forces me to organize my thoughts, which is never a bad thing, and this way no one has to hear stories as long, windy, and confusing as an Incan highway through the Andes; just nice quick, succinct writing. Brevity has never been my strong suit...

But there are always pictures! A picture says a thousand words, or something like that, and everyone likes them, so I will try my best to stay on top of it.

A refresher for what I'll be doing: my airplane lands in Quito May 27 and leaves from Quito August 15. The first six weeks I'll be studying Ecuadorian ecosystems and environmental policy, travelling around mainland Ecuador as well as the Galapagos. I will pursure a somewhat informal study of commercial fishing in the Galapagos, attempting to shed some light on the complications for the people, ecosystems, and politics involved and how these issues are being addressed.

The last four weeks...well, your guess is as good as mine. I've always had an itch to go to Machu Picchu, and would like to speak at least a little of the Quechua I've spent the last year learning. I am also lucky enough to have somewhere to stay in Lima due to some kind acquaintences (thanks Loncito!). Other than that, I am keeping my options as open as I am trying to keep my mind, staying as far away from the "tourist" label as possible for an obvious tourist and spending every minute learning as much as I can.

At the moment I am preparing myself in all the best ways possible- drinking too much coffee and alcohol, eating too much delicious food, and maintaining a rigorous schedule of lethargy. Three days until the boat sails, and I've barely spoken a word of Spanish. Better start practicing now!

Hasta luego, abrazos por todos,

aly

2 comments:

the Pedersens! said...

Good luck and happy trails to you until we meet again...Can't wait to see the photos, and hear about your adventures! Hugs! -Donna

Hey, Alison! We already miss you, but we're consoled that you're having a blast of an adventure. You'll love the Galapagos. Say "hi" to Darwin's turtle. ~Tom

Hiya Alison!!
This trip sounds like so much fun! So much for last minute plans for your summer...eh? :) Tell us all more stories when you can! Por favor?
see you in August!
Love, Anna

Tabby said...

Alicha!

Say girl. SAY! By the time you read this you'll be in Ecuador, beginning your adventures. =)

I'm so glad you jumped on the online journal (we'll avoid that horrible 4 letter word) boat. Though, I'll warn you, it takes a lot to bring yourself to actually leave a post once in a while (at least that's the case with me). But you hold the quality of get-go, so maybe you'll be much more dedicated than I have.

So, lady, have a fantabulous time.. And hopefully we'll catch each other (& Ruben) on Gchat again soon.

Love you!

-Luychu